Douglas W. Hyman
For over 25 years Doug Hyman has been representing investors, brokerage firms, registered representatives, investment advisor representatives and RIAs in various types of matters relevant to the financial services industry, both in the context of general counseling and in connection with representing clients nationwide in arbitrations and in state/federal courts.
His practice focuses on representing clients in the following types of matters:
- Arbitrations before FINRA, AAA, JAMS, other forums and in court’s nationwide.
- Claims of misconduct by financial firms and professionals resulting in investment losses or other harm. These claims typically stem from allegations that the investment recommendations were unsuitable or that there was a breach of fiduciary duty, but can also be the result of alleged churning, unauthorized trading, fraud, elder abuse, overconcentration, the use of complex products such as annuities, and failure to supervise.
- Claims of fraud relating to private placements or other investments, which in many cases are the result of Ponzi schemes.
- FINRA, SEC, State and other types of regulatory and enforcement matters.
- Employment matters specific to the financial services industry, including defamation, wrongful termination, and other claims relating to Form U4/U5 disclosures.
- Expungement of CRD, Form U4/U5 and BrokerCheck disclosures relating to customer complaints and terminations.
- Transitioning from one firm to another (both protocol and non-protocol).
- CFP Board enforcement matters.
- Complex investment products such as variable annuities, leveraged ETFs and structured products.
- Post-employment matters including obligations relating to non-competes, non-solicits, and promissory notes.
Doug’s experience is derived from a wide variety of past experiences:
- As a Senior Attorney in the SEC’s Division of Enforcement he led investigations involving insider trading, market manipulation, procedural and supervisory deficiencies in broker-dealers, disclosure issues, Ponzi schemes and prime bank frauds, and other matters relating to the securities laws.
- As a Vice President in the Wealth Management Division of Morgan Stanley’s Legal and Compliance Division he represented the firm and its registered representatives in claims/arbitrations filed by clients alleging investment losses; claims/arbitrations relating to employment matters such as promissory notes and Form U4/U5 disclosures; internal investigations of registered representatives for potential violations of firm policies and industry rules; advising on complex investment products such as annuities and structured products, and responding to customer complaints.
- As a Financial Advisor at UBS Financial Services he held the Series 7 and 66 licenses and gained valuable business experience in the financial services industry advising high net-worth individuals, corporations, trusts and fiduciaries.
- As a Special Assistant United States Attorney, Doug assisted in the prosecution of the largest insider trading case in the history of the District of Minnesota.
- While at the global law firm DLA Piper, Doug focused on representing brokerage firms, corporate clients and individuals on SEC and FINRA investigations and enforcement matters, civil litigation and FINRA arbitration proceedings.
Doug is also committed to serving his profession and community. For many years he has served as Treasurer for the Association of Securities and Exchange Commission Alumni Association, a non-profit headquartered in Washington D.C. that provides scholarships to law students and SEC staff. He also supports non-profits in his home of Oak Park, Illinois. He currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Oak Park Education Foundation, and for many years he served as Treasurer for Oak Park’s children’s museum, known locally as Wonder Works.
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law, JD, 1995 (with honors)
- Indiana University, Bloomington, BA, 1992
Bar Admissions & Certifications
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- FINRA Series 7 & 66 (2007-2015)
Honors & Awards
- SEC’s Chairman’s Award for Excellence (Division of Enforcement)
- Rated “AV” by Martindale Hubbell
Memberships & Activities
- Association of Securities and Exchange Commission Alumni Inc. (Board of Directors; Treasurer)
- Oak Park Education Foundation, Oak Park, Illinois (Board of Directors)
- Wonder Works Children’s Museum, Oak Park, Illinois (Board of Directors; Treasurer; 2012-2020)
- SEC’s Division of Enforcement
- Morgan Stanley’s Legal and Compliance Division
- UBS Financial Services
- DLA Piper