Representing financial professionals, financial institutions and investors in investment loss, employment and disclosure matters, and in regulatory investigations nationwide.
Daniel Hildebrand represents companies, executives and individual investors in a wide range of matters, with a focus on cases involving fraud, misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary or professional duty, and breach of contract claims, as well as defense of SEC, FINRA, DOL and other regulatory investigations.
Dan graduated from Yale Law School in 1992 and clerked for Judge Walter Cummings on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit in Chicago from 1992-1993. Thereafter, he was in private practice at two leading national law firms: Mayer Brown (1993-2010) and Greenberg Traurig (2010-2022). Dan was a partner in the litigation group at Mayer Brown and a Shareholder in the litigation group at Greenberg Traurig. Dan also served as Special Assistant Attorney General to the State of Illinois from 2000-2001.
While based in Chicago, Illinois, Dan's practice is national. He has appeared in courts in California, Texas, New York, Virginia, Louisiana, Delaware, Florida, Wisconsin and other jurisdictions. Leading Lawyers of America has recognized Dan as a leading lawyer for civil and appellate litigation from 2012-2022. He is a member of the Trial Bar of the Northern District of Illinois and the Illinois Appellate Lawyers Association. He has argued more than 50 injunctions, dispositive motions, appeals and arbitration hearings.
Representative matters that Dan is handling upon joining Lewitas Hyman in February 2022 include:
- Defending developer against securities fraud and breach of contract claims brought by investors
- Claims by member of LLC over forced liquidation of its interest in the company at less than fair value
- Defending executive against claims for theft of trade secrets and wrongful hiring of employees
- Claims by members of LLC seeking to recover member redemption funds seized by government
- Representing executives and company in an ongoing Department of Labor enforcement matter
- Disputes involving fraud or misrepresentations in public or private securities offerings
- Defense of companies and individuals in regulatory investigations by SEC or FINRA
- Disputes involving the conduct or practices of investment and wealth management advisors
- Disputes between owners, members, or managers of limited liability or other private companies
- Disputes over purchases and sales of a business, holdbacks, and redemption or liquidation rights
- Disputes alleging breach of fiduciary or professional duties (investment advisors and accountants)
- Defense of defamation, false light and other privacy tort claims
- Public forum free speech claims and challenges to governmental restrictions on speech
- Access to public records and Freedom of Information Act claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois